Asbestos from China turns up in SA 

Products imported from China and containing asbestos have been used in portable structures made in South Australia, the government says.

An Adelaide company has been caught importing building products containing asbestos from China, the South Australian government says.

SafeWork SA is investigating the importation of the products, which have been used in the production of portable structures and in facilities at the company work site.

“I’m advised there is no current immediate risk of exposure from the asbestos-containing sheeting in portable buildings manufactured by the company,” Attorney-General John Rau told parliament on Wednesday.

Mr Rau said workers at the company, which provides infrastructure and facilities to the mining and construction sectors, had been provided with counselling and health tests.

The company had been issued with clean-up notices and the Australian Border Force was investigating whether customs laws had been breached.

Mr Rau has written to federal Employment Minister Michaelia Cash seeking increased monitoring of a ban on asbestos importation.
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/06/08/asbestos-china-turns-sa

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s